The Contact Import tool feature is permission based and can be found on the main Contacts page. The Contact Import tool will allow you to batch update or add new records. Note – Do not import more than 8,000 entries at one time and always wait for an import to complete before beginning a new one.
- To get started, click “Import Contacts” on the right hand side of the page, under the Contact Actions menu.
- The next screen is the first step to import Contacts. In order for the import to complete successfully, be sure to follow each step listed below. If you would like a header template for the importer, click the link found on the first page of the “Import Contacts” screen.
Import File Information
- Click browse to select your CSV (this file type works best) or Excel file.
- You must add the sheet name of the worksheet in your file that you wish to import. This field is case sensitive and must be an exact match. If you receive an error regarding the sheet name, remember, you must fill in the sheet name to match the sheet name in your file exactly. By default, most are Sheet1, however, it could be different especially in a purchased list.
- If your spreadsheet does not include a column for First Name and a column for Last Name, check the box “Ignore Rows with no FirstName or LastName”.
- This next step is REQUIRED if using the importer to update existing records. If you skip this step, the records will be duplicated in the database.
- Lookup Property – This feature allows you to update existing contact records by matching them up with an attribute in your spreadsheet to one in the database.
- Under this section, you can apply the same Status, Lead Source, Lead Source Date, and Initial Contact Type to all of the records that you are importing.
- If you apply a default, it will only be entered in those matching columns that do not have any data entered in the spreadsheet.
- It is important to note, if your BrightDoor Central instance requires certain fields such as Primary Lead Source, you will have to either have that data in your file or select it here.
- The importer will not allow you to import contacts that do not have ALL specific BrightDoor Central Instance required fields – such as First Name, Last Name, etc.
- Choose to exclude potential duplicate records.
- BrightDoor Central offers 3 different identification methods to spot duplicates: First name + Last name + Zip code; Email address + zip code; Email address only.
- Note, these must be identical matches. A common mishap is if your spreadsheet contains zip+four and most of your contact records in BrightDoor Central only contain a five digit zip code.
- If the importer finds potential duplicates, they will be emailed to you in a spreadsheet.
- Once you have completed each one of these steps, click on the “Upload” button.
Now, you are ready for Step 2, click the tab below to see next steps.
The Importer Tool will try to match your column headers to BrightDoor Central field names.
- At this screen, double check to make sure the matches are correct, or if no match was found, you can select the appropriate one from the dropdown.
- If you need to add a new custom attribute, you may do so in this area, just select “Create Custom Attribute” at the bottom of the list.
- A new pop up window will open, for more information on custom attribute settings, click here.
- To start the import, click Validate & Save at the bottom of the page.
Now that the Import has Begun…
If your file contains more than 50 records, you will see a message that your job has been sent to a server. The import will continue to work and you are free to work in BrightDoor Central in the meantime. You will receive an email stating whether the import has been successful or if it has failed shortly. The amount of time depends upon the size of the file. Please note the importer will handle up to 8000 records at a time. If your file contains more than 8000, please divide your file.
Troubleshooting and Tips:
- To add an agent assignment, add the username as identification (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org), do not use their First and Last Names as these are not always unique per agent.
- Use the importer to add/change information for groups of people – Use the Lookup Property to define which contacts should be updated. For example, use this to reassign contacts to different agents or use the importer to add a new custom attribute to a group of people.
- The easiest lookup value is the BrightDoor Central ID; which is included in every export.
- Do not forget required fields. This includes default required fields, but also Custom Attributes. Keep in mind if a required field has been added or changed since the last import. If you are using the importer to update records, those records that do not contain the required field will be skipped.
- If importing custom attributes with selection options, values in the spreadsheet must match the attribute definition values exactly.
- The duplicate checker is looking for exact matches. If either an existing record or new record is missing information, the potential duplicate will not get flagged; e.g email address.
- Large imports may take several hours to complete. To verify contacts are importing, search for them in the interface.
- To add values for a multi-select field, keep them in the same cell and separate by a semi-colon. (for example: Swimming;Golf;Tennis) Do not use a space between values.
- If you receive an error regarding the sheet name, remember, you must fill in the sheet name to match the sheet name in your file exactly. By default, most are Sheet1, however, it could be different especially in a purchased list.