The Product Import tool feature is permission based and can be found on the main Products page. The Product Import tool will allow you to batch update or add new records. Note – Do not import more than 5,000 entries at one time and always wait for an import to complete before beginning a new one.
- To get started, click “Import Products” on the right hand side of the page, under the Product Actions menu.
- The next screen is the first step to import Products. In order for the import to complete successfully, be sure to follow each step listed below. If you would like a header template for the importer, click the link found on the first page of the “Import Products” screen.
Import File Information
- Click browse to select your CSV (this file type works best) or Excel 2003-2007 file.
- You must add the sheet name of the worksheet in your file that you wish to import. This field is case sensitive and must be an exact match.
- If your spreadsheet does not include a column for Product Label, check the box “Ignore Rows with no Product label”.
- If you are listing Owners in the spreadsheet that are not already listed as Contacts in the CRM, activate the check box for “Ignore owners that cannot be found”.
- This next step is REQUIRED if using the importer to update existing records. If you skip this step, the records will be duplicated in the database.
- Lookup Property – This feature allows you to update existing product records by matching them up with an attribute in your spreadsheet to one in the database.
- Under this section, you can apply the same Type, Status, and Mapping Information to all of the records that you are importing.
- If you apply a default, it will only be entered in those matching columns that do not have any data entered in the spreadsheet.
- The importer will not allow you to import products that do not have ALL specific BrightDoor Central Instance required fields – such as Type, Status, etc.
Now, you are ready for Step 2, click the tab below to see next steps.
The Importer Tool will try to match your column headers to BrightDoor Central field names.
- At this screen, double check to make sure the matches are correct, or if no match was found, you can select the appropriate one from the drop down.
- To start the import, click Validate & Save at the bottom of the page.
Now that the Import has Begun…
If your file contains more than 50 records, you will see a message that your job has been sent to a server. The import will continue to work and you are free to work in BrightDoor Central in the meantime. You will receive an email stating whether the import has been successful or if it has failed shortly. The amount of time depends upon the size of the file. Please note the importer will handle up to 5,000 records at a time. If your file contains more than 5,000, please divide your file.
Troubleshooting and Tips:
- The easiest lookup value is the BrightDoor Central ID; which is included in every export.
- Do not forget required fields. This includes default required fields, but also Custom Attributes. Keep in mind if a required field has been added or changed since the last import. If you are using the importer to update records, those records that do not contain the required field will be skipped.
- If importing custom attributes with selection options, values in the spreadsheet must match the attribute definition values exactly.
- Large imports may take several hours to complete. To verify contacts are importing, search for them in the interface.
- To add values for a multi-select field, keep them in the same cell and separate by a semi-colon. (for example: Swimming;Golf;Tennis) Do not use a space between values.
- If you receive an error regarding the sheet name, remember, you must fill in the sheet name to match the sheet name in your file exactly. By default, most are Sheet1.